Wednesday, September 25, 2024

TOR100 Cervino to Monte Bianco by Kailas, 11 sep.2024 - Epico!

 “Epic” is an adjective that means something like “big, grandiose, extreme, awesome.”

I found about TORX races from friends and social media and I decided to give it try when I noticed that they introduced a new "intermediate" route TOR100 which traverses the mountains around Aosta Valley from Cervino to Monte Bianco. It's only a 105+ km with almost 8000m elevation gain.

I'm not stranger to that kind of distances nor to this type of cumulative elevation since I already done more races over 100km and also an Everesting event.

The registration was a very quick process and the 250 places were fully occupied in less than two hours.

I thought this will be a great race, tough and even extreme by many points. Still there was nothing to compare to since it was the first edition.

Everything that I did in preparation was almost the same as in my any other big race because it didn't require special equipment or skills. But it required more mental toughness and that is hard to train. You have to experience that kind of challenges to know what you are capable of. 


Cervinia, the place where the race started. When I first arrived there, this whole view of Monte Cervino (4478m), couldn't stay unnoticed. It's what I dreamed about for a long time. No words needed in front of such a greatness.


But after an hour or so, the mountain started to hide itself. The clouds are already taking over the mountain. This was one of the last complete views of the mighty Monte Cervino.

On the field, everyone is trying to get ready, doing the last adjustments, some try to relax maybe get a few minutes of sleep if possible. The typical agitation is not seen because it's mostly inside of everyone's mind.


In less than two hours till the start of the race it was already dark, a light rain started and there was no more Cervino in sight. 

I checked-in with my wrist bracelet in the start area and tried to prepare myself mentally for what was coming.


Before the start, despite the soft rain, I felt good and confident. It never crossed my mind that it was going to be so ... epic!

The start of our long journey was a minute after 9:00 PM.


And we started to run through the now very crowded Cervinia with all the people cheering and encouraging us then quickly everything turned to power-hike as we approached the mountain. 

After a lot of hours in the night, at some point, I reached Rifugio Cuney, where I tried to eat something and I started shivering badly. I pulled myself an empty chair in front of an air heater and probably I dozed a few minutes. After an hour or so I left the refuge somehow refreshed.


One of the high waypoints on the route that we had to cross. Col de Vessonaz at almost 2800m.


After 10 hours of running in the dark, finally the daylight was very welcomed. We started to see at more than a few meters around the path.



Beautiful landscapes unfolded little by little as the day begun.


After first big aid-station in Oyace where I spent most than an hour resting and refreshing, the next segment was a big ascent of 1100m+ till 2500m altitude and then a corresponding descent of 1100m-.


Big, impressive mountains everywhere you look. It seemed like a good day with nice weather.



Somewhere in the middle of that ridge in front, was our passing point. There was still a lot to go.


Last days brought a lot of snow above 2000m on the big mountains far away. More close to us, impressive rocky ridges everywhere around.


Col de Brison and a quick look back at the valley where we started that ascent.


From Col de Brison, we already could see Mont Blanc far away in the left. In that direction we were heading. 


I took a minute to admire the beautiful views from the col, before starting the long descent.


The next passing point Col de Champillon (2711m) could already be seen on the mountain across the valley. But until then, there will be first a stop down in Ollomont.


From Ollomont, our second big aid-station where I also took a long rest and replenished myself, the way was only up for another 1300m+ till Col Champillon. 


Then I was looking back at the point where we crossed that ridge in Col de Brison almost 3 hours before. Sometimes a short stop and look back pays the effort.
 

But not far away from Col Champillon, I was caught on camera. Everything was still good and fitting the initial plan. The energy level was enough. I felt good even if I was after almost 18 hours since the start.


A smile makes all the difficulties seem easier. And the photographers also need our appreciation.


Col de Champillon (2709m). Another big ascent was over but the next descent ahead was as tough as it could be with ~1000m-. Admiring the views from the col also gives some extra needed energy.


The descent went through alpine meadows, flowers and rocks. It was nice and I could already imagine myself down in that village.


After that long descent I fouled myself thinking that I passed Saint-Remy but my plans were wrong. Till Saint-Remy there were still 10km ahead, speaking in time that's almost two more hours.


Mountains and valleys all around as you can see.

In the end me and Giorgio, an Italian guy with which I started to go together, because it's easier when you're not alone, we finally reached Bosses the last big aid-station. There, after eating something, we tried to sleep a little bit but unfortunately it was too noisy but we got some rest anyway. 
After leaving Bosses, we were heading to the final big challenge of our journey. I knew the hardest part is yet to come but the atmosphere was still nice and calm.


Somewhere over there in the upper mountains unfolding in front of us, our toughest part of the route was waiting for us.
Slowly, the second night started to settle in. A big noon was shining over the mountains.


This is how the ascent to the highest point of the route might have looked like. I never looked back at that section. The snow, wind gusts and freezing temperatures were not expected but we had to deal with them. Add to that the exhaustion caused by the second night without sleep, the altitude which at least for me was a real pain in the... head. 



Finally on Col de Malatrà (2936m). I was very tired and affected by altitude (mostly nausea) but somehow happy that the descent was going to start very soon. 


On the long descent that followed, the terrain was very slippery but although I had crampons, I didn't use them and trusted my NNormal Tomir shoes which again proved to be very reliable. 


I thought that if I was going to go down then the symptoms will quickly disappear but the sickness kept bothering me for another two long hours. And when I found out that the route is not actually 105km as expected but more that 110km, it was like a kick in the head. It meant at least another hour of effort, like it was not enough what we had to put on. 

To be honest, I started to feel better when we reached Mont de la Saxe after which we could see the lights of Courmayeur down the mountain. It was like a resurrection. I even started to run downhill, on the technical path that I was already familiar with.

After more that 30 hours of moving in the mountains and a few hours of mental agony since Col de Malatra, the finish line was there, so close... Yes, the finish line! A dream that finally came true.


Once there I almost forgot the muscle pain, the mental struggle, the whole tiredness. What a big relief.

Now here I am, happy to be one of the finishers of TOR100 race. All the bad thoughts quickly faded away. It's an indescribable feeling. 
  

An there's Giorgio Locci, my companion for the last third part of the race. We went mostly together and supported and encouraged each other.


Signing my name on the wall of finishers was something new. No other race had that kind of thing. Kudos!


For more technical information about the whole race check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/0FfdtpCbbNb



What could I say now, when I'm past that moments: It's all about yourself and growing in your own mind.


No comments: